Sunday, November 09, 2008

Cooking a Christmas Cake in a Rayburn

Wasn't sure I would make it today! Been up to Worcester to take K back to Uni! I bet you want to know how the cooking of the Christmas cakes in the Rayburn went?

The big cake was done last night but silly me forgot to put the heat reflector shelf in, this protects the tops of cakes from too much heat, hence they don't form a crust! So the big cake was a little bit crusty till I smothered it in Brandy!



The small cake was not cooked by midnight last night so I set my alarm for 03.00 and got up and it still wasn't done, so went back to bed and when I got up at 07.30 it still needed more time. Anyway by about 11.00 I thought we had cracked it so took it out cooled it for 10 mins then took it out of the tin.............. Big mistake it was all soggy on the bottom... disaster.. rescuable (is that a word??) What I should have done was stood it on a shelf or cooling tray to allow the air to circulate around the whole tin. So I popped it back in and on my return from Worcester about 17.00 its cooked both ends!



What has impressed me is how soft and springy this cake is, I may let hubby eat it to see if its OK and if it is, would I cook this way again? Definately! I've learnt alot. I like the idea of using the bottom oven to cook in and the fact that it takes 24 hours does not worry me, I just need to adjust my starting time to be around and not in bed at the finish!!!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

You are so good Libby to get out of bed to check a Christmas cake....would I....I would not.....well done and they look absolutely delicious......

Morning Glories in Round Rock said...

Oh my! Christmas baking already. Now I am feeling pressure to start something Christmasy! LOL!

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Wow, 24 hours to bake a cake. I like the idea of you letting your hubby try it first to see if it's OK. ;-)