Tuesday, October 31, 2006

We have lit the Rayburn!

My friend Mrs Nesbitt has done what I had planned to do. Now I don't want people to think I am copying her.

The girls where conplaining bitterly about how cold it was! ark and I wnere fine, but we gave in this morning when we found them both shut in the bathroom with an electric heater on, getting changed!!!!!!!!!

Just being lit this morning! Now the main problem we have with our Rayburn is, we had to have a complete flue put in as the previous owners of the cottage had the chimney taken out, what this does is create a 'perfect' chimney which is not really what a Rayburn wants!
and here is the flue!!!! The Rayburn heats 5 radiators and we use it for cooking and we get lashings of hot water, the big disadvantage is we have to run off at least one tank of boiling water a day!!!! When I say boiling, I mean boiling it splutters out of the tap, to be honest it is rather dangerous, but no one appears to be able to come up with a solution to help us!
All the firebricks are in, this should help stop the hot water getting too hot (but it doesn't). The spin wheel is shut tight, the flue chamber damper is also shut, the flue chamber door is open wide (to reduce the draw from the flue) and the boiler thermostat is set to its lowest setting! We have been told we can't shut it down any tighter, most Rayburns would not run set like this, they would just go out!!!! The dial on the right is the top oven temperature, when I took this pic it read 80C and it had only been lit about 2 hours! As it is so windy today, by tonight it will probably be off the scale the highest reading is 350C.
I do love it when its lit, and will often stand in front of it resting my bum against the silver rail and providing its not too hot, will stand and drink my coffee here! Very soothing for back problems too.
I still have quite a few windfall apples so for the first time I am going to try and dry them in the bottom oven. I may have to wait a few days until the Rayburn has calmed down and ashed up, abit!
Ha, ha, ha, I was just having a read through the instructions and No13 states
'Typical Water Temperatures against Thermostat Knob Settings@
a) using the cooker boiler to provide heat for domestic hot water and radiators in the winter, a boiler thermostate setting at No 8 is recommened
B0 Using cooker boiler for the provision of domestic hot water only, in the summer, a boiler setting of No 5 is recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the biggest laugh going I always always always run on No 1 and it still boils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now Mrs Nesbitt, if your reading this have a word with your husband and ask him if there is anything he thinks we may be able to do to stop us wasting all this water, please.


The banana is now wrapped up for winter, just as Monty Don did on Gardeners World on Friday! I'm not convinced it will work as well as last year but to be honest I don't have an option because the one planted outside is now way too big for the greenhouse....



Here we have cleared the ground around the base and trimmed some of the leaves, before we put the net frame up I covered the ground around the base with gravel, this keeps the straw of the wet ground and stops it rotting.............................. we hope!!!





heres Mark stuffing more straw in the top, what I have done and Monty didn't is protected the crown from water... if any water sits in the crown it will rot and that will be the end of that!


Here it is all wrapped up, the little one on the left is a Sago Palm. I must admit when I did this last year I was really confident it would survive, mainly because I used bubble wrap. But all the info says don't do it that way because it can't breath. It was a bit soggy in places but did survive! this is my pride and joy, when I got it, it was about 3ft tall now it is between 6 and 7ft tall. It has had a number of babies which I have cultivated and donated to the local Plant Sale which raises funds for the church. I might get some wind break stuff, its green plastic and has lots of small holes in it, if I wrapped that around the outside it might give it a bit more protection??????


No comments: