Monday, May 19, 2008

Who Turned the Heat Off?

The temp this morning when I got up was a chilly 3.1C. Not good for my tropical plants at all! Totally unexpected so I may have lost a couple, so tonight it will look like it has snowed as I bathe my garden in fleece as similar temps are expected again tonight!



This was taken at 9am when the temp inside the house was colder than outside and that was with the front fire lit!!!!

My back went again on Friday, and I was being a good girl, I have been so good you can see my sparkling halo! I am so desperate to get back out in the garden, I am doing as I'm told, all exercises etc. etc. I had planned to put my name down for an allotment, I think that will have to go way down the list now!! In fact gardening may have to be a hobby I'm not able to do :o(



My first ornamental poppy bloom, they are so cheerful, always makes me smile!

In the greenhouse I took this pic



Its Xanthosoma,an 'Egg Yam' amazing colour, a bluey green, with drops of dew/condensation.
These are getting huge now!



I get all excited when I go down each morning to see if a new leaf is about to unfurl!



This is another Xanthosoma



a totally different colour, look at the burgundy stems and the way this leaf unfurls



This is an Alocasia (I think?)



I lost the label. They are all so different.

and finally Alocasia Illustrus



amazing! I don't think I could give up gardening, just have to find a new way to do it!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sorry you are still suffering with your back Libby.
We to had low temps, 5 degrees last night. We had the heating on as cold winds were blowing thru the house, its May for goodness sake.
Those beautiful greeny blue leaves, so huge, I find them fascinating.
Take care Libby....well wishes.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I've had back trouble for years now Libby and I'm still gardening. I garden in drips and drabs, as soon as I feel pain in my back I stop what I am doing and rest for a bit. It is working a treat! It doesn't all have to be done today, right now. Tomorrow is good too or next week.;-) Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

BTW it's been pretty cold here too the last few nights and days but not as cold as with you!

Vallen said...

You will find a way - maybe you'll get a gardening angel like Lottie