Monday, April 21, 2008

Chickens, Cuttings & Things!

Eggs Laid This Year: 135

The chickens have been doing remarkably well this year, in the egg laying department! They will be 2yrs old soon,if they are not already, we got them in May 2006. I always though there egg laying dropped off as they got older!
This is three of them enjoying the sunshine and wrecking the lawn (if you could call it that)




I have taken to spending alot of time in my large greenhouse, the one behind the chickens, its like a conservatory. I have a chair in there and will often go and sit, to rest my back. I go in when its raining too, its like being in a caravan hearing the rain on the roof, I love the smell, the warmth, the brightness, just being in amongst the plants. I think I will look out for a little table then I could have a radio on when I'm in there and on cooler days maybe even read a book then maybe not.






How could you not enjoy leaves with such magnificent markings and colours, are you beginning to understand why I love them so much?

When I sit, I'm always looking and doing, seeing how things are coming on, are there any bugs that need destroying, has that plant grown since I looked at it 5 seconds ago, what can I do to make them bigger and better! You see this is my tropical greenhouse, the house with all the jungle plants with large leaves. I also overwinter my brugmansias in here.
I was sat in here on Sunday and spotted something that needed doing, can you see?



My standard brug had shoots growing from its stem


so not wanting to waste anything, I took them off and


potted them up. Well waste not want not. If they take I shall sell them on Ebay!! I have to pay for my expensive taste somehow!!!

8 comments:

Shammickite said...

I can just imagine you sitting in the greenhouse surrounded by all those wonderful plants. I'm sure they are growing so well because you sit with them and show your enjoyment of them.... they love you and want to please you!! Maybe a radio with some music would make them even happier!

Anonymous said...

Seeing you chair in the greenhouse really puts the size into perspective - it is huge isn't it.

I would absolutely do the same as you if I had one.

Wonderful photos

Auntie Noo said...

Om the poultry forum they reckon that with hybrids you get 2 good years laying out of them, then it's poss. worth culling after that as the quality/quantity drops considerably, but they say with pure breeds you can get up to 5 or 6 years of good laying. Your plants looks amazing.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a great idea to put a chair in one of your greenhouses, now you can ejoy it even more. Your chickens look very happy. Have you got rid of the rat problem?

Cheryl said...

Who cares about the lawn when you have chickens producing breakfast each day.
I can understand you loving the smell, warmth of your greenhouse. I do to. The leaves are beautiful I have do agree and can understand why you love them.
Hope the new plants take.

mrsnesbitt said...

Love the thought of the chair in the greenhouse,may try this out for myself, when it is a little warmer!


Dxx

Maggie said...

Your very own little bit of heaven!

John gave me a mini-greenhouse for the back yard for Valentines Day. It's been such a chilly spring that we haven't even put it together yet. But it's such a nice day today I think maybe I'd better get up and do it now.

Hugs from Liverpool

Chrissie said...

Your hothouse does look inviting! The plants are obviously very happy now the temperature has warmed. Enjoy your peace and quiet :-)