Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Very Sad! But Happy too!

Do you remember this from last year?


I was really pleased as I managed to get it for an excellent price. Well it has overwintered in the greenhouse and was just starting to sprout when we had a severe frost and the stupid heater never came on so it looked like this after...


It has not recovered and I was extremely worried as the centre had gone all grotty, so I did as advised and cut of an inch at a time with a carving knife..


still not looking good so cut of a bit more then suddenly it all came off in my hand, and looked like this..


Definately NOT good! It was rotten and stank to high heaven, I am gutted. So have cut off everything soft and rotten, wrapped it up again and have been told it could still return. We will see.

As my tropical plants have been bursting into life everywhere, but they also need more height than my propagator has, I decided to price up a new one. They are not cheap £100, more than I had or really wanted to pay

but

in the local Free Ads paper I found this


4ft by 2ft and lots of height, a bargain at £40! Its full now!!!!

Sorry I haven't been round visiting your blogs recently, I have been told by the physio not to sit for long at the computer, as its causing quite bad back problems for me!

8 comments:

Chrissie said...

It is sad when we lose a favourite plant that we have loved and nurtured. I look at a peony tree every day to find some sign of life, I think I may be lucky or am I just convincing myself :-) Good luck with your new propagator! Just think of all those beautiful flowers that are on the way to us :-)

Cheryl said...

I love reading about your tropical plants, all a mystery to me.
Hope your back starts to feel a little better Libby.
lol

Anonymous said...

What a bargain - and no need to apologise for not visiting us - we love visiting you

Sheila said...

I hope that plant comes back for you. This weather has been brutal.
Did you get that storm yesterday..?
I hope not. From what I saw it was awful.
Say warm and dry anyway..
hugs
xx

Anonymous said...

Dear Libby, so sorry to see one of your plants isn't looking too healthy. I really hope you manage to bring it back to life again! Looks like you found a great bargain!

{{{HUGS}}} to you from a sunny but very windy Sussex :o)

mrsnesbitt said...

What a bargain Libby! Good one!

Shammickite said...

I'm sending good vibes across the Atlantic to heal your poor damaged plant. ZZZZZZZZ!
I hope the string bag is successful, it's a really easy pattern. And I hope we'll see a pic of it before you give it away!

Libbys Blog said...

Thank you for all your comments,
Chris: its sad when you lose any plant but when one cost rather alot of money its even worse:-0

Cheryl: still a mystery to me too, thats half the fun :-)

Lottie & Mrs N: always on the lookout for a bargain :-)

Talj & Sheila: my mum says I have my Nanas 'greenfingers' and she could make anything grow so I will try my best to revive it!!!